Friday, November 5, 2010

Home

I have been pondering what exactly I should put here, and I think I've come to the conclusion, that I guess I should post something here about the joys of what I call home.

As I encounter the everyday life of work, church, life frustrations, etc, I always find it such a joy to come "home". When life has met me with obstacles at every turn, I count it a joy to be able to find that place of peace, that place of joy, that place where I want to draw myself away to - home with the family.

I've been asked often how I could want to just "go home" all the time. But, I've found that there is just such a sweetness when I go there to dwell. I know that our home is like every other home and there are dishes in the sink (although I try to get rid of those before bed time - hahaha), laundry piled up, ironing that needs done, and we snip at each other and have even had those awful disagreements that leave you with such a horrible feeling in the pit of your stomach that you would ever have said things in anger that would hurt someone you love so dearly. Yet, even in the midst of those times, I still want to go home.

I think to myself that I have the world's greatest husband and boys. They have been the life line for me many times. There have been times I've wanted to pull my hair out with the things going on at work or on some committee within the church, yet they were there waiting for me to come home. When I arrived, often I have found them greeting me at the door with hugs, kisses, jokes, and other times, just seeing them made it all worth the while coming home.


In recent days we have been in the preparing stage for a new moment in our life. Our oldest young will be marrying a sweet young lady that God placed in our lives nearly two years ago. For the first time, I will no longer be the only "girl" around. How exciting things have been as we have watched a lovely and beautiful picture of romance, young love, and biblically sound future begin to unfold in their lives. It has been so exciting! We have rejoiced in many avenues of this time in our lives. As a mother, I see now that my son will have the same experience as I do in that he will work each day and find a place where he too will be able to "retreat". His new love, is very much that way. She finds her time with the Lord a refuge and a joy to be...yet she too is looking so forward to this newly found time of life where she will want to also "go home".

As I stated above, there are many ways in which I have been greeted when coming home. Last night was no exception. As I walked through the door, I was called into the office where I was greeted by my husband and youngest son, sporting these ridiculous throw blankets on their heads and wearing them like capes while singing the Mighty Mouse song, "Here I am to save the day!". I was in hysterics. As I think back on this and the laughter in which insued in our home, I thought to myself that although life is continually changing and even though our oldest son will be "going home" to another place, we still have laughter going on in our home, we still have joy, we still have love, and I will still find a reason to want to go home.

Now too I think of another home. A place called heaven where many of my friends, family and loved ones have gone on before me. I think of those in the bible in which I have heard the stories throughout my life who have also gone before me. Yet I don't find sadness there when thinking of it. I don't find bitterness thinking that I will never see them again. I too find joy in knowing that I will one day see them again. I find joy in knowing that they are rejoicing, laughing, loving and enjoying every moment they have with Jesus and wouldn't wish to be here even for a day after having spent it in the loving arms of our Father. I'm glad that we will have the moments one day of knowing our Father face to face, and feeling safe in His presence where we will be greeted with rejoicing because we finally made it to our eternal home. Thankfully, we will see Him with a smile on his face saying, "welcome home!"

Heavenly Father, thank you for home. Thank you for friends and family that fulfill our lives and bring such joys. Thank you for times of life changes. Thank you for new love that reminds me of the freshness of your love for me. Thank you for laughter that fills a home...that fills my home. Thank you that even in the midst of frustrating days, that we have a place we can call home. Thank you that Your Spirit dwells within our home and is a place I love to be every day. Thank you that one day I will see my Jesus face to face and be welcomed into a "new eternal home". Thank you that we have that to look forward to for eternity. I praise you and adore you. I pray that while I'm here I will serve you faithfully and that each time I walk through the door of my home that I will be reminded of the beautiful things you have entrusted to me for this time here. Again, thank you for providing a place for me, even in this temporary place, that I just love and want to "go home". Thank you choosing to abide with us and allowing us to find our refuge and strength in you and a place I love to call "home". In the name of Jesus...Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment